About the Role:
Under the direction of the Director of Human Resources & Risk Management, the Human Resources Generalist enhances the effectiveness of the human resource function through direct customer service, benefits advocacy, coordination of programs and communication strategy. The Human Resources Generalist performs HR functions associated with recruitment and hiring, employee relations, benefits administration, employee leave, document retention, employee safety, and compliance.
What We Offer:
Our employees enjoy a robust, family-friendly benefit package designed to promote work-life balance and to support the employee’s overall wellness and future financial security.
Benefits for full-time employees include:
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Sick Leave
- Twelve Paid Holidays
- Employer-sponsored Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance Programs
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employer-provided Life Insurance
- IMRF Pension
- Optional deferred compensation retirement savings plan (457(b)) and employer-sponsored Roth IRA
- Y at Work Wellness Program
What We Look For:
- Requires education generally equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree (Human Resources preferred); AND
- Significant work experience in the human resources function, including employee recruitment and hiring, benefits, employee relations and human resources compliance; OR
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work effectively.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information protected by Airport policy and various legal statutes. Commitment to protecting employee privacy.
- Proficiency and prior experience using Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Word and Excel. Proficiency with one or more Human Resource Information Systems required.
- Superior interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and comprehend written instructions, correspondence and legal documents.
- Ability to prepare letters, memos, presentation materials, correspondence, etc.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to business associates and employees of the organization.
- Ability to use math and technology to perform complex functions, such as calculating compensation, creating total rewards statements, and understanding and summarizing quotes and proposals.
- Ability to solve problems involving several abstract and concrete variables and apply creative and innovative strategies to enhance the employee and candidate experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of human resource concepts, generally accepted human resources practices and current trends.
- Comprehensive knowledge of employment laws and ability to remain current on constantly changing statutes pertaining to the employment function.
- Ability to apply personal initiative and work independently.
- Provides customer service to employees by responding to inquiries and assisting individuals with basic policy interpretation, benefits, HR information system self-service and employment-related questions. Helps resolve questions associated with employee health claims and FSA reimbursements through direct communication and advocacy with insurance carriers and third party administrators.
- Assists with health and welfare benefits renewal processes.
- Coordinates the development, implementation and continuous improvement of a comprehensive benefits communication program, including the production and distribution of general and individualized written materials, individual meetings, and group information and education sessions.
- Coordinates all aspects of the employment function including recruitment, candidate selection, onboarding and offboarding, and manages associated document retention.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating the Human Resource Information System (HRIS) and for ensuring effective utilization of all HRIS functionality, including but not limited to workflow, applicant management and employee self-service.
- Prepares and maintains confidential personnel, medical and benefits files and is responsible for retention of employment documents according to policy. Updates employee records in Human Resource Information System, including demographics, benefits, compensation and training.
- Processes enrollments and terminations for pension, insurance, Section 125, voluntary deferred compensation programs and other benefits.
- Coordinates the administration and maintenance of employee safety programs according to company policy and legal requirements, including safety training programs and employee drug and alcohol testing programs.
- Receives employee injury reports and maintains required injury tracking logs. Submits first report of injury to Worker’s Compensation carrier and coordinates employee Worker’s Compensation benefits and return to work process. Maintains confidential Workers Compensation files.
- Processes requests for Family Medical Leave and tracks leave balances. Coordinates management of Family Medical Leave for individual employees.
- Assists with the communication of important information to employees using various methods, including HRIS Self-Service, email, payroll inserts, and direct mail.
- Responsible for the planning and execution of employee events, such as service awards, employee appreciation day and other gatherings.
- Actively cultivates positive relationships with all employees.
- Assists Director of Human Resources & Risk Management with special projects.
- Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the position.
- Professional human resources certification or ability to achieve certification within one year of employment.
- Ability to pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen.
- Ability to pass a background investigation to obtain unescorted Airport Identification/ Access
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and possession of a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to provide verified proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or provide documentation to support a medical or religious exemption.