Legislative Updates - Federal, Iowa and Illinois + Apprenticeship Programs
This program has been submitted for SHRM and HRCI credits
4-hour workshop legislative session.
Attorney Mark Hudson, Shuttleworth & Ingersoll
Attorney Matt Pappas, Pappas O'Connor PC
Amy Beller, Iowa Workforce Development, Registered Apprenticeship Coordinator
***This program has been approved for 4 hours of continuing education credit through SHRM and HRCI***
Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 8:00 AM to Noon
Doors open at 7:15 AM
Breakfast will be served when you arrive. You will receive a boxed lunch to-go at noon. (Vegan options available. Please indicate when signing up for the meeting.)
$40 for GRHRA members | $60 for GUESTS
OPPORTUNITY! We are looking for benefactors to support 22 college students who will be attending this seminar. Gift a student by buying a ticket for $50. Students will be sitting at tables with their supporters. Let's help our future HR professionals!
(ALL registrations must be submitted by end of day September 15th. No tickets will be available after that date.)
Rhythm City Casino
8:00 - 9:30 .......................... Mark Hudson, Federal Legislative Update
Comprehensive update on Federal legislation in 2017
9:30 - 10:30 ......................... Mark Hudson, Iowa Legislative Update
Developments in Iowa State Law in 2017
10:30 - 11:15 ........................ Matt Pappas, Illinois Legislative Update
As the Employment Law World Turns - Developments in Illinois State Law in 2017
11:15 - Noon ........................ Amy Beller, Registered Apprenticeship Program
Understanding the 5 components of the Registered Apprenticeship Program and benefits of registering a program with the DOL.
Mark Hudson -
Mark is an Attorney and Senior Vice President at Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C. Mark’s work focuses on labor and employment compliance and counseling (including personnel policies and decisions, workplace investigations, affirmative action program compliance, wage and hour advice, and general employment counseling), labor and employment litigation (including equal opportunity, wrongful discharge, discrimination, sexual harassment and defense of employment-related claims), and fair housing litigation and compliance. Prior to joining Shuttleworth, Mark worked at a large Omaha law firm practicing in a regional labor and employment law section. Mark also is the co-author of “McDonnell Douglas: Alive and Well”, 52 Drake Law Review 383 (2004), is a Contributing Editor for BNA’s leading labor law treatise, The Developing Labor Law, and is a Chapter Monitor for BNA’s and the ABA Section on Labor and Employment Law’s definitive reference on the law of discrimination in the workplace, Employment Discrimination Law.
Mark's Areas of Practice
• Labor & Employment Law
• Startups & Innovators
• Cornell College, B.A. Politics (1999)
• Drake University, J.D. (with high honors) (Order of the Coif and Order of the Barristers) (2003)
• Drake Law Review—Articles Editor (2002-2003)
• ABA Moot Court Team Captain • Moot Court Board
Matt Pappas -
Matt is a principal of Pappas O’Connor, P.C. He is a recognized professional who is awarded the highest rating (AV) from Martindale-Hubbell for legal ability and ethics. His practice focus: Management labor, employment matters and municipal
Clientele: Private and public sector clients including local and national corporations, colleges and school districts, hospitals, medical corporations, and banks
• Litigating complex employment disputes, including class actions in federal and state courts
• Guiding Public entities through Freedom of Information Act and Open Meetings Act
• Designing and drafting complex executive compensation and severance packages
• Establishing client employment policies and procedures
• Conducting compliance reviews and assisting in preparation of employee handbooks and other materials
• Negotiating collective bargaining issues
• Advising clients on employment, reductions in force, plant closures, noncompetes, and trade secret matters
• Advising employers concerning labor relations
• Counseling and representation in litigation regarding federal, state and local statutes and regulations
• Training including Corporate Governance, violence in the workplace, harassment, Affordable Care Act, Americans with Disabilities Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act
• Valparaiso University (J.D.)
• University of Illinois (B.A.)
Amy Beller -
Amy spent the first ten years of her career working for United States Senator Tom Harkin. She held numerous positions with the Senator’s office ranging from scheduler, veterans and military constituent caseworker, and state outreach coordinator.
She spent two years developing the Harkin Institute for Public Policy & Citizen Engagement at Drake University. Amy was the Assistant Director for Programming and External Relations where she helped to create the institute’s community and university programming, D.C. Experience Scholarship Program and was the liaison to Senator and Mrs. Harkin.
In December, 2016, Amy moved to Iowa Workforce Development as the Registered Apprenticeship Program Coordinator to assist in the management of the ApprenticeshipUSA Accelerator and State Expansion Grants.
Amy earned her Master’s in Public Administration from Drake University and her Bachelor’s degree from Buena Vista University. She resides in Carlisle with her husband, Justin, and two young daughters.
Tuesday, 09/19/17 at 8:00am - 12:00pm | iCal
Rhythm City Casino
7077 Elmore Avenue
Davenport, IA 52807 USA
[ Get Directions ]
Look Who's Coming:
McLaughlin Body Company
Stanley Consultants, Inc
Mediacom Communication Corporations
Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation
Management Resource Group, Ltd.
Deere Employees Credit Union
Deere Employees Credit Union
Scott County Family YMCA
Group O, Inc.